Can be Prepared in 45 minutes or less. * Serves 6 as a first course or light lunch.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound radicchio, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- six, 1/2-inch-thick slices country or Italian bread, each about 3 to 4 inches long
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- about 6 ounces smoked buffalo mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices.
METHOD: In a heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté radicchio with vinegar, stirring, until wilted and tender, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season radicchio with salt and pepper and stir in parsley. Remove skillet from heat. Preheat broiler. On a baking sheet toast both sides of bread about 3 inches from heat until golden. Rub one side of each toast with garlic and season with salt. Divide radicchio among toasts, spreading evenly, and cover radicchio with mozzarella. Broil toasts until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.